Speak to a live rep

Home Insurance FAQ's

Like any kind of insurance, if you are not sure of something in your policy, it is always a good idea to ask about it. Here a few questions you might have in regards to your policy.

Do I have to have a house to have homeowner's insurance?

Homeowner's insurance is available for a number of personal property types, such as apartments, townhomes, electronics, etc.

How will having a dog affect my homeowner's insurance?

Depending on the type of dog you own, your insurance company may exclude coverage for any damage by it. In some cases, they may charge extra or refuse to apply coverage at all. This varies with every company, so it is better to ask your own company personally.

Who's insurance pays for the damage if a neighbor's tree has fallen on my

Your neighbor’s liability policy will not cover this accident unless you can prove that his/her negligence has caused it. Your own insurance will normally pay for the damages if you file a claim.

What do I do after I file a claim?

A claims adjuster will normally contact you within two days of your filed claim and work with you to determine fees and processes that may go into the rebuilding of your home and inspect any accident more closely.

If I file a claim, will my insurance rates increase?

If it is your first claim and is because of something that is not very likely to happen again, your premiums will not be highly affected. If, however, the claim is not the first of its kind and something of the like has happened before, your insurance provider may see you as a higher risk and that this may happen again; in this case, your rates will go up.

What are the consequences for being underinsured at the time of an accident?

Your policy will most likely have a coinsurance clause, which requires that you pay a penalty for being underinsured. Avoid this by checking your own policy limits every year and adjusting value changes.

Does my policy include coverage for a flood?

No, it does not. Flood insurance is a separate type of insurance but should be considered if you own a home. Even if you do not live in an area where floods are common, that does not mean it will not happen.